You will need:
For the chocolate cherry brownies
- 110g/4oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 110g self raising flour
- 45g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 100g canned cherries, stones removed, drained
- For the cherry chocolate sauce
- 150ml/¼ pint double cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 50ml/2fl oz cherry juice (from can of cherries)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. For the brownies, place the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl and mix together until light and fluffy.
3.Crack in the eggs and beat well, then fold in the flour, cocoa powder and milk. Finally fold in the cherries.
4. Line a 20cm/8in x 12cm/5in baking tin with baking paper and grease well with butter. Pour the brownie mixture into the tin.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until well risen but still slightly gooey in the middle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then cut into squares.
6. For the cherry chocolate sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients (except the icing sugar) into a small pan and heat gently, stirring frequently, until combined to make a smooth sauce.
7. To serve, place the brownies onto a serving plate and pour over the chocolate sauce. Dust with icing sugar.