Sew little time

Last week I took a day off work to go to a card making workshop, so indulgent on a work day I know! I go to card workshops as often as I can, I think its so important to learn new things and refresh abilities. This workshop focused on "other occasions" and we looked at Wedding cards, new baby and a very cute get well soon. The wedding card used Iris folding, something that I really enjoy so it was good to do it again. I think the card is really pretty:

The class made me really think about what 'other' occasions I could make cards for and that is something I will be working on over the next few weeks - i have a great idea for a New Home card and will post when I have made it.

But that's not what I want to talk about now. Being at the workshop made me realise that it is difficult trying to hold down a "day job" with wanting to turn a hobby into something a bit more. I am new to Art Fire (AF) and I see my store here "Butterfly-Crafts" as my way of beginning my dream. However, what I hadn't realised was just how addictive it can be.

I am always logging on trying to see what other people are up to, joining in with the forums to learn new ways of promoting and just checking in with other artisans. There has been a lot of discussion in the forums about promoting and I have really learnt this week that there is a lot of promoting required to just get your name out there and your craft recognised. It has really dawned on me that there is a whole world of online promotion and networking that I knew nothing about and I am learning fast. I am trying to digest it all and come up with a sort of strategy as to what to do next, a big AF to-do list if you will. So far I have identified 5 key tasks for the next couple of weeks, in reverse order:

5) Create a Facebook fan page

4) Blog more frequently and get to grips with how to blog so that I can join the Crazy marketing train on AF.

3) Stay involved with the AF communities and forums

2) Email all of my friends to shout out that I have created a store and try to encourage free promotion.

1) Keep being creative!!!

I think number 1 is the most important really and to get back on track to what I was going to post about is, I am trying to find all those little gaps of time in which I can be crafty. I am currently working on a cross stitch sampler card which I am stitching in my lunch breaks, it may only be a short sharp burst of crafting but with 'sew' little time......I find every little helps.

Tuesday 7 April 2009 | 2 Comments

2 comments:

Vintage Jewelry Collector said...

Great post. I like your blog. It is very pretty and the post is informative.

Alisun said...

Creative decorations for your blog! I'm amused to see that, like me, you articulated your goals in the beginning. I'm afraid to go back and look at mine now! LOL!

Post a Comment