I have had a lot of fun writing this feature on The Murphy Studio on Artfire, as I do with all of my feature blogs. As with the others, we shall learn a bit about Murphy Studio owner Misti and then I will showcase some of her fantastic items.
1) If you had to work by a creative mission what would it be? My creative mission is to create “fine art” that is affordable for everyone – without commercially producing my art. My solution is to hand-paint or sketch magnets that are reasonably priced but still remain a work of art. Don’t get me wrong, I have more expensive items for sale, but magnets are really my focus. Everything is handmade by me, including the sketches, the paintings, the leather wall hangings, and the silhouettes of the wood cut outs (although I have a craftsman actually cut them out due to the lack of strength in my hands). I paint what inspires me and every piece is original.
2) Have you had any creative disasters? Sure! Lots of them. Crafting is a trial and error process. Many of my creative disasters turn into something someone out there just loves – even though it is a disaster in my mind. That’s the great thing about art – everyone’s view is different.
3) What is your favorite item in your collection? My giraffe magnet! I’ve
started a new “Safari Collection” based off of him! My husband and I were married at Reid Park Zoo in Tucson , Arizona between the Giraffes and the Lions. It was a memorable moment that I draw on for inspiration. Throughout the day, the giraffes were trying to reach over their enclosure to nibble on my bouquet of flowers!
4) Sum up your collection for me: Hand-painted wood cutouts (magnets) and hand-painted leather wall hangings with a focus on wildlife
5) Is there another craft you would like to try? I would like to experiment with some kind of metal craft – not jewelry, though. More like furniture or home accessory design.
6) What is your favourite craft store? Sarnoff Art Supplies – it’s a local Tucson Store
7) From where do you draw your inspiration? My love of animals and the southwest. Animals have always been a huge part of my life. From growing up with animals, to currently having four dogs of my own, animals have a unique place in my heart. I love to see their expressions come to life in my paintings, and consequently, how my paintings make animal lovers feel when they see them.
8) What made you do this for a business? I’m actually a custom home designer struggling through this economic downfall. I turned to art (after 20 years of not painting) to fill my time and make some extra money!
9) How do you like online selling? It’s interesting. It’s a lot more work then I thought it would be. It’s difficult to keep up each day, but I love the community and seeing other’s work.
10) What tip can you pass to a new online seller? Promote, promote, promote! It’s all about networking and marketing – which I’m not very good at yet but I’m getting better. My advice would be to try to get your name out there, be supportive of other artists, and don’t be shy about the art/product you create. Be proud of what you make and share your site with everyone you know!
11) Describe yourself in 5 words: Wow! That’s difficult! If you are looking for adjectives I would say, “Creative, emotional, technical, artistic, and a ‘problem solver’ ” If you are looking for a phrase, I would say, “An artist on a mission!”
12) What has been your favorite vacation/holiday? My honeymoon! My husband surprised me and took me to Las Vegas and then to Catalina Island . It was very romantic!
13) What's a good book you have read? Sad to say – I don’t read many books. I never have. It’s just not something I can keep my interest in – I just think about everything else I have to be doing while reading, and then I have to read it all over again!
14) Which season do you relate with and why? Fall – it seems to be the season the season that everything happens. Maybe because the weather is cooler!
15) What is a favourite film of yours? Oh – there’s too many! I like We Are Marshall, August Rush, 27 Dresses, basically any kind of love story or anything with Kevin Costner!
Thanks Misti, it's great knowing you're an Artist on a mission!!! And now, for the showcase....
I am a paper crafter and supporter of all things handmade! I love to create cards for people but not only papercrafts I also like to sew, knit and make soap.
Follow By Email
- ► 2013 (29)
- ► 2012 (19)
- ► 2011 (59)
- ► 2010 (52)
- Business Tips Part 13 - Pricing Part 2
- What's new?
- Business Set Up part 12 - Pricing (Part 1)
- Artisan Feature: The Murphy Studio
- Business Set Up Tips Part 11 - Production
- Business Set Up Part 10 - Packaging
- Business Set Up Part 9 - Plagiarism
- Business Set Up Part 8 - Product Research
- Artisan Feature: Haffina Creations
- Blockhead Radio
- Business Set UP Part 7 - Capturing Ideas (Pt2)
- ▼ August (11)