- Is the shop well established and been in business for long? If it is new you will need to be extra careful,
- Are most of the goods on sale in the shop bought outright/wholesale? If so encourage the owner to do the same with your pieces,
- Contact other designers/artisans who have pieces for sale in the shop for their feedback on the shop and business practices,
- Ask if the insurance documents cover consignment items,
- Find out what will happen if your items are stolen or damaged - will the shop pay you?
- How long will a product be on the shelf? If they are not sold within the set timeframe how will they be returned to you? It isnt ideal to have items sitting on the shelf for long periods of time as they may become damaged and you will be unable to sell them.
Do any of you do consignment? Have any tips you would like to share?
On the next Business Tips blog: Wholesale Part 1