You will need:
- 1 cup / 8oz sugar
- 1/2 cup / 4oz butter softened
- 2 eggs beaten
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 cups / 24oz plain (all purpose) flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Granulated sugar (if you DON'T plan to ice them
- Icing sugar & lemon juice for the icing (optional)
And this is what you have to do.....
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C
- Cream the sugar and butter together then blend in the egg and grated lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture and knead until well bound adding more flour if necessary,
- On a lightly floured board roll out the dough to about 1/8" thick using a rolling pin,
- Cut into shapes with the cookies cutter or a knife and lay on a baking tray,
- If you are NOT icing them, sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 8 minues.
- When the cookies have cooled if you are icing them mix together the juice of a lemon with enough icing sugar to make a thick icing paste, I used about 4tblsp of icing sugar. Coat the top of the cookies with the icing and allow to set before eating!
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of my cookies as they were eaten very quickly but people did say they were nice so I passed the cake club test!
If you bake these cookies let me know how they turned out!