Artisan Feature on Shiny Adornments

It is time for me to feature another wonderful Artfire seller and today it is Kristy from Shiny Adornments.

1) If you had to work by a creative mission what would it be? Create what you love. After creating jewelry pieces for about 6 months in, I had an epiphany of sorts. I was making things I didn’t particularly like. Making things "to sell". Not fun for me and wasn’t filling the creative void nor was the act of creating them particularly stress reducing. I decided that going forward, I would ONLY create things that I loved. Items that I would wear if they weren’t purchased. So that’s what I do today.

2) Have you had any creative disasters? Besides spilling a large bead stash on the floor at least once a month? I also have to admit whacking my fingers more than once with a texturing hammer or jabbing myself with a pair of pliers.

3) What is your favourite item in your collection? I’ve become very
partial to these sterling knotted hoop earrings

4) Sum up your collection for me: ShinyAdornments is artisan handmade beaded and wire wrapped jewelry, handcrafted in Wichita, KS. I use sterling silver, gemstones, SRA lampwork, glass, and polymer clay beads in my work, which includes bracelets, bangles, earrings, necklaces, hair sticks, and cocktail rings for both work and play. I make jewelry I would wear myself. The materials depend on my mood and inspiration. My goal is to create wearable items for work and play that offer an interesting statement about the women who wear them.

5) Is there another craft you would like to try? I’m taking a silversmithing class this summer in order to further my skills. I’m most interested in learning about enameling.

6) What is your favourite craft store? Wow, that’s a tough one. There are multiples online that I love. Monsterslayer and Otto Frei come to mind.

7) From where do you draw your inspiration? More than anything else I am inspired by color, specifically botanicals.

8) What made you do this for a business? I started making jewelry because I couldn’t find pieces to coordinate with my work attire. I love being able to hammer components into submission. Creating little wearable expressions of color has become a stress reducing therapy for me.

9) How do you like online selling? I’ve learned a lot over the last couple of years. One of the things that I like the best is that my pieces are being worn by wonderful buyers from all over the world. That makes me smile.

10) What tip can you pass to a new online seller? Develop a business plan. Stick to it. Get a really good camera and learn how to take really really good photographs.

11) Describe yourself in 5 words: Silly, geek, Mom, sarcastic, analytical

12) What has been your favourite vacation/holiday? A cruise, any cruise, any time

13) What's a good book you have read? Anything trashy and scary, preferably with guns, ghouls or crime, or all three

14) Which season do you relate with and why? I’m a fall, all the way. The color palette is my favorite, I don’t have to sweat. Love the fall.

15) What is a favourite film of yours? Shawn of the Dead, The Big Lebowski, Star Trek
Thanks Kristy! Now here comes my showcase of your fantastic work.......



Thursday 17 September 2009 | 1 Comment

1 comment:

msbelle said...

Woohoo! Kristy does such beautiful work and is such a sweetheart! Well deserved feature indeed!

Post a Comment